Margaret Schlachter, expert in the sport of obstacle racing, business and beekeeping, shows us the parallels between running an obstacle race and running a business.
- What if… the winning mindset needed to get you through an obstacle race is the SAME mindset you need when facing a big scary task at work or at home?
- About Margaret Schlachter
- Join us, and become a Simplifier
What if… the winning mindset needed to get you through an obstacle race is the SAME mindset you need when facing a big scary task at work or at home?
Learn how to overcome fear, cultivate resilience and take practical risks in business and life by taking part in obstacle races.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How doing obstacle races can help you develop the mindset needed to help push through the hard stuff
- Everything you need to know about entering an obstacle race in your local city: what you should wear, what to eat the day-of and how you should train for the event including:
- The #1 rule when entering an obstacle course race: Do NOT wear cotton (especially if mud is involved)
- GORE-TEX shoes do not breathe and will actually hold water!
- How to run your tennis shoes through the waterproof test before the race
- Margaret’s suggestion for training at home to prepare for a race. (it involves crawling under monkey bars)
- Where our power source comes from as women, may surprise you. Not our brain, not our heart, but our womb
- The different qualities of masculine, feminine and child-like spirit and how they are all valuable resources in our life and business
My challenge for you this week:
Find an obstacle race or mud run locally and sign up to participate… even if it scares the bejesus out of you! Snap a photo and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, people and books mentioned:
- Perfect introduction into obstacle racing:
- “Couch to 5K app” by One You – two-month training program for beginner runners – https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/one-you-couch-to-5k/id1082307672?mt=8
- In the UK/London: Danny’s “Project Awesome” outdoor workouts – http://www.projectawesomehq.com/london-tribe/
- In North America: “November Project” – https://november-project.com
- Search your local Meetup page for local race resources – https://www.meetup.com
- Mud Run Guide’s “Training Tuesday” training article and video every Tuesday – http://www.mudrunguide.com Mud Run also has list of gyms and training facilities throughout North America, as well as races in your area.
- The Dirt in Your Skirt Podcast – http://dirtinyourskirt.com/podcast/
- Obstacle Race Training: How to Beat Any Course, Compete Like a Champion and Change Your Life by Margaret Schlachter – has a ton of different workouts as well – https://amzn.to/2HETsCn
- The Shamanic Way of the Bee: Ancient Wisdom and Healing Practices of the Bee Masters by Simon Buxton – https://amzn.to/2viAZch
Favorite quotes from this episode:
“On one hand, it’s just playing and running in the mud… taking you back to the days of your childhood and making mud pies” – Margaret
“Women who’ve tapped into their feminine power source have seen their business grow and evolve” – Margaret
“The more you give out, the more it will come back towards you” – Margaret
About Margaret Schlachter
Margaret Schlachter is one of the foremost experts in the sport of obstacle racing today. Sports have always been a driving factor in Schlachter’s life growing up in the world of alpine skiing as an elite racer from a young age.
Then in college as a two-sport varsity athlete at Babson College in both Alpine Skiing and Women’s Lacrosse, she earned her Bachelors of Science in Business Management with a dual concentration in strategic management and entrepreneurship and later earned her Masters in Education Leadership from the University of Vermont.
In 2010, she was first introduced to Obstacle Course Racing through social media. She created Dirt in Your Skirt to track her own race endeavors and quickly this grew from a personal blog to an industry website. What started out as a hobby soon became more serious when in 2012, when she quit her job in education to pursue a career as a professional obstacle racer, the first in the industry.
She has been with Obstacle Course Racing from its birth in 2010 and is the dominant female voice in the sport currently. She works as Editor in Chief for Mud Run Guide the largest obstacle racing website in the world. She is the Media Director for Adventure the company that produces the Obstacle Course Racing World Championships, North American OCR Championships, 24-Hour Enduro Championships, and Empire State Marathon. Additionally, she works with Fuego y Agua Endurance which produces Survival Run, one of the toughest endurance challenges in the world.
When not jetting from race to race she continues to cultivate a community around Dirt in Your Skirt through articles, podcasts, and online community.
She is married and lives with her husband, two dogs, and a cat on their urban farm.
Margaret’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Michelle Roy: a middle school science and technology teacher… dumpster dives so students can make cool things out of found objects.
Where Margaret hangs out online:
Join us, and become a Simplifier
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way. In addition, we’ve created a free online community just for you, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers as well.
Click here to join and start SIMPLIFYING: https://thesimplifiers.com/super/
Subscribe to The Simplifiers Podcast
Don’t forget, you can tune in to the podcast on any of these fantastic FREE platforms, whatever suits your fancy: