I’m willing to bet one of two things happened when you saw the title of today’s episode… either you thought, “well, this doesn’t apply to me, I don’t tell lies” or “ohhhhhh, girl… we’re about to get down into my ISH, aren’t we?”
And my response is simply this…
Girl, I’m right there with ya.
My special guest today is Dr Dana Marrocco and she received a PhD in Educational Psychology and is absolutely passionate about unpacking what chronic self-deception really, truly is and how we can laugh at it and ultimately, diffuse its power.
- She wants to help us see the lies we tend to tell ourselves that keep us from achieving our personal and professional goals in life and more importantly, how to stop living them.
- About Dr. Dana Marrocco
- Join us, and become a Simplifier
She wants to help us see the lies we tend to tell ourselves that keep us from achieving our personal and professional goals in life and more importantly, how to stop living them.
In this episode, you will learn:
- how to balance the relationship between inner peace & outer success
- how to stay in the present moment while working towards your big picture goal(s)
- how our judgments of others & self, either support or sabotage our success
- how our hidden, negative affirmations and unconscious thoughts are the ones that really create our reality and how to stop that cycle (basically, how to stop the stinkin’ thinkin’)
- how to overcome the struggles you might have in arguments with your partner or spouse
- how to shake off negative stories we’ve told ourselves from our childhood experiences, once and for all
Using humor and a solid base of academic and practical knowledge, Dr Dana helps us gently undo the lies we all tell ourselves.
My challenge for you this week:
What’s one lie you tell yourself that you are ready to shake off? Share it with me, privately or publicly, by snapping a photo of you doing the thing and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, people and books mentioned:
- Book: The Top Ten Lies We Tell Ourselves: And How to Stop Living Them – by Dr Dana Marrocco – https://amzn.to/2ISIZDb
- Book: The Universe Has Your Back: How to Feel Safe and Trust Your Life No Matter What – by Gabby Bernstein – https://amzn.to/2L1Jifv
- Book: The Disappearance of the Universe: Straight Talk About Illusions, Past Lives, Religion, Sex, Politics, and the Miracles of Forgiveness – by Gary R. Renard – https://amzn.to/2IUopSN
- Book: A Course in Miracles – by the Foundation for Inner Peace – https://amzn.to/2L4rJM3
Favorite quotes from this episode:
[08:13] “I think there always is a tipping point at some point, call it a tipping point or breaking point, where you just go ENOUGH. This is no longer working and this is NOT my best life.” – Mary
[12:52] “If I can convince myself that you’re unworthy, then I won’t ever have to look at the fact that I’m unworthy. So some people point the finger, always pointing out inadequacies in others [first].” – Dana
[15:00] “We all kind of suffer from this directionality confusion where we think that things are coming at us when really everything is coming from us and I think it is sometimes possible to change another person but only through your own perception of them. Not through putting any demands or limits or ultimatums on them.” – Dana
[16:31] “Focus on the fact that we’re completely the same. We want the same things, we want to feel love, we are love. This is just kind of an illusionary game that we’re playing out right now and just kind of let it pass without saying, well, what does it mean if it can happen again?” – Dana
[30:21] “I meet myself where I am and then just try to talk myself out of it back to where, where I was before this all started, but it can really be whatever the negative thought you’re having. I think it could be turned around as quickly as I want to feel good and I am good. Like just that simple reminder can transform it because we are sort of doing this to ourselves and that’s the hard part to swallow because we’re just so resistant to that. And there is comfort in being a victim bigger, small, and sometimes we even compete for who’s the biggest victim. And we can look at that with gentleness as really like a call for love.” – Dana
About Dr. Dana Marrocco
Dr. Dana Marrocco, PhD, is the author of “Top Ten Lies We Tell Ourselves (And How to Stop Believing Them),” – slated to release August 2018.
The teachings in this book draw from her professional background in educational psychology and “A Course in Miracles” in a light-hearted but profound discussion of the most common self-deceptions that keep people from living happy and creative lives.
Living with her family in New Jersey, “Dr. Dana” speaks, sings, and performs self-help stand-up at local spiritual centers and retreats. Experience Dr. Dana’s style on ACIM Gather, “On Course, with Dr. Dana” (Wednesday 9:30-10am EST), or her YouTube video series entitled “Did You Forget to Laugh?”
Where Dana hangs out online:
Dana’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Lyna Rose – author of “Enlighten Your Life: 52 Prayers, Affirmations & Love”
Join us, and become a Simplifier
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way. In addition, we’ve created a free online community just for you, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers as well.
Click here to join and start SIMPLIFYING: https://thesimplifiers.com/super/
Subscribe to The Simplifiers Podcast
Don’t forget, you can tune in to the podcast on any of these fantastic FREE platforms, whatever suits your fancy:
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.