Earlier this week, we shared part one of this conversation, all about how to say no to diet culture. And this builds on our theme for the month, talking all about our physical bodies. My hope is that you did the homework and talked to a friend about what you learned in part one… and that opened a dialogue for healing.
Now, if you haven’t heard part one, go back and listen to that one first. But if you’re ready to continue on, let’s pick back up here with my conversation with author Autumn Shields as she simplifies how to say no to diet culture.
First things first, you need to know how to spot it in your life. So, here are a few quick-fire examples:
- Before/after transformation photos? Diet culture.
- “Omg, you look so good! Did you lose weight?” Diet culture.
- Pitting food as the enemy, classifying it as good vs. bad foods? Diet culture.
- “Oof, I ate too much last night… I better workout extra hard today.” Yup, you guessed it… Diet culture.
Which is just a shame because it’s all a vicious cycle… most of us who go on super restrictive diets simply gain the weight back (and some more). Why do we want to change our bodies so much? So, what I’m proposing to us all (myself included) is that we stop the cycle. What if no diet is the best diet of them all? Let’s say no to diet cycle.
- My special guest today is Autumn Shields and she’s simplifying how to say no to diet culture.
- Something to consider… As author Virgie Tovar puts it, “you are not afraid of being fat. You are afraid of being treated like a fat person.”
- Q: Are you ready to say no to diet culture? If yes, this one is for you.
- <What’s catching my eye this week>
- My challenge for you this week:
- Links, books and apps mentioned:
- Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
- About Autumn Shields
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
My special guest today is Autumn Shields and she’s simplifying how to say no to diet culture.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- Her take on diet culture and where it can stem from as early as childhood
- We hear that self-love is the antidote but for some of us, that’s a BIG leap… she gives us baby steps to help us get there
- What she means by inner nudges – how to listen to them and what positive effect it has on your body and wellness, overall
- How intuitive eating works as an alternative to dieting
- …and ultimately, if you’re tired of being in a battle with your body and ready for something different, Autumns paints us a picture of what life could be like on the other side of saying no to diet culture by truly listening to your body, instead.
Let me state the obvious for the record: make sure to talk to your doctor for professional advice on your health and your body. Today’s episode is just a highlight of my own journey, sharing the insight I’ve learned along the way.
I encourage you to talk to a friend about this episode. I’m willing to bet they’ve struggled with this very same issue at some point in their life as well. Fat talk like “my thighs are huge” or “I was so bad yesterday – I had that massive meal” or “no one is going to love me at this size” seeps in everywhere.
Ooof, if this hits home for you, my wish is that today’s episode helps to build a dialogue to unpack the negative effects of decades and decades of diet culture… and help you to stop dieting and begin to find peace with your body.
Q: Are you ready to say no to diet culture? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- The Unbearable Weight of Diet Culture – Jessica Teich – Good Housekeeping
- February 2022 monthly forecast: Discipline – Lena Stevens – The Power Path
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
- Gain clarity in 90 minutes: Mary is offering 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking to get unstuck as the world reopens, post pandemic
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and to help you spot diet culture in your life? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: Living Your Life Alive: Learning to Listen and Follow Your Inner Nudge – Autumn Shields
Freebie: 7-day guide on how to live your life fully alive – Autumn Shields
Book: Atomic Habits – James Clear
Podcast: How to listen to your body, featuring Irene Lyon – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast
Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Now more than ever, I’m finding 7-minutes of journaling is helping me calm my mind and get centered every morning.
So, start your day off right, download The Simplifiers Morning Prompts.
It’s a free daily worksheet that helps you laser-focus in on what needs to get done today, what could trip you up and how you’re going to stay on track. 5 questions, 7 minutes… this worksheet will help you SIMPLIFY!
About Autumn Shields
Autumn Shields – She is a speaker, author, podcaster and entrepreneur. Autumn was a police victim advocate in Colorado. During her career she was able to assist thousands of crime victims. While she was working in this field and helping raise four children, Autumn started to build a business in social marketing with a health and wellness company. Within a few years she promoted to the top 1% in her company.
She now lives a life by design and helps others do the same. She published a book called, Living Your Life Alive: Learning to Listen and Follow Your Inner Nudge and hosts a podcast called The Living Alive Show. She has a passion for helping others achieve a life that they dream of by learning how to follow life’s nudges and step into their purpose. Autumn guides people to truly live their life alive. She is an island girl. She resides on Cape Cod in Massachusetts in the summer and on San Pedro in Belize in the winter.
Where Autumn hangs out online:
Autumn’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Dr. Andi Harper – She is known as a “CHANGE-agent of magnitude for the animals of the world.” She is an internationally acclaimed animal communicator, certified animal chiropractor and facilitator. She is also the owner and operator of a thriving practice, Animal Magic LLC, based in Golden, CO.
Dr. Andi is the creator of Animals Done Different and Energetic Magic With Animals. Her straightforward facilitation invites the animals and the people they own, into having more ease, communion and creation. She received her Doctorate of Chiropractic from National University of Health Sciences and her Animal Chiropractic Certification from Options for Animals.
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Episode sponsored by…
Do you wish someone else would handle your company’s social media marketing, so you don’t have to continue to feed the never-ending machine? Delegate this to social media experts and superheroes: Goodboy Creative and simplify your life!CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.