Today, we’re talking all about how to overcome your inner critic. You know, that pesky little voice that’s either telling you, “you’re doing it wrong” or “hey, don’t even try doing it at all” when you want to make great things happen in your life. Where does this voice stem from? And more importantly, how do we move past it?
My special guest today is coach and neuroscience researcher, Cynthia Phelps, PhD and she’s simplifying how to overcome your inner critic. She believes that inner compassion is the route to help you deal with shame, navigate challenging relationships, and how to stop being so hard on yourself. It’s about finding that inner ally that will speak wisdom into whatever challenge or obstacle you’re faced with right now.
- My special guest today is Cynthia Phelps, PhD and she’s simplifying how to overcome your inner critic.
- Create a simplified business plan & bounce back stronger than ever before
- About Cynthia Phelps, PhD
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
My special guest today is Cynthia Phelps, PhD and she’s simplifying how to overcome your inner critic.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- What the difference is between your ‘inner critic’ vs. ‘imposter syndrome’ from a neuroscience point of view
- imposter syndrome happens when you’re in contact with other people
- inner critic is mainly dealing with yourself, in your own mind
- How schema therapy works to help shift your mindset
- Using the InnerAlly cards to shift your inner language in a simple, practical way
- What “shooting the second arrow in life” is and how to recognize if you’re stuck in a never-ending suffering loop
- …and ultimately, how forgiveness is the key ingredient to overcoming your inner critic. What two things you must give yourself to make long-lasting change
At the root of Cynthia’s work is the core belief that the life you desire comes from practicing healthy habits of the mind… what she calls “Emotional Fitness.” When you speak compassionately to yourself, your entire world changes and for the better.
This will not only help you experience lower levels of stress and anxiety, but equally, it’ll help spark your creativity and productivity, no matter what big change or struggle you might face next. Bottomline, when you tap into the higher intelligence that your inner allies can provide, life can be limitless. Truly.
So grab a journal and pen, and get ready to take notes… it’s time to simplify!
Q: Are you ready to overcome your inner critic and get unstuck? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- The Internet’s Memory of Breonna Taylor – The Cut, written by Mary Retta
- Derek Chauvin trial live: 911 dispatcher had ‘gut instinct’ something was wrong – USA Today
- 4 hours of instrumental music to help calm your nervous system – Soaking in His Presence
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
- Mary is offering 50-minute 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking for ideas on how to pivot their businesses
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and overcome your inner critic this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: Loveability: Knowing how to love and be loved – Robert Holden, PhD
Video: The Three Components of Self-Compassion – Kristin Neff
Coaching: 1-1 coaching with Cynthia – use the promo code SIMPLECOACHING to get $100 USD off! – InnerAlly
Podcast: How to get into the flow (part one), featuring Scott Robinson – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to get sober + overcome addiction, featuring Laura McKowen – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast
Create a simplified business plan & bounce back stronger than ever before
Once a month, I am leading a cohort of no more than 10 business owners through the process of creating their own simplified business plan. In four short weeks, you will get super clear on the 9 key aspects of your business, including:
- defining your unforgettable value proposition
- clarifying your Ultimate Ideal Client
- setting your pricing strategy… and so much more!
So, if you’re ready to receive absolute clarity that’s going to help you boost your revenue, get unstuck, and be ready to bounce back stronger than ever, then reach out and #DoTheThing!
As an introductory rate, this 4 week program is offered at $299 USD and past clients say it’s worth every penny.
Schedule a free 25-minute discovery call to see if it’s the right fit for you.
The next cohort starts Tuesday, April 6th, 2021 and the deadline to join us is Friday, April 2nd. And hey, if you’re ready to join now and want to bypass the discovery call, simply click here and reserve your spot today.
About Cynthia Phelps, PhD
Cynthia Phelps, PhD – She is a researcher, international speaker, coach, and the Founder of InnerAlly, a company that builds evidence-based tools to improve resilience and wellbeing.
She has a passion for teaching the power of a kind and compassionate inner voice, and guides people to explore their own emotional landscape to create customized inner support language, leading to life-changing outcomes.
Where Cynthia hangs out online:
Facebook Group: @innerallies
Cynthia’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Christine Gautreaux – She is a white social justice advocate, an international speaker, coach & published author who helps you upgrade your self & community care. She is also the co-host of the Women Connected in Wisdom Podcast, dedicated to having weekly intentional conversations about how to be wise in business, relationships and wellness.
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Episode sponsored by…
Do you wish someone else would handle your company’s social media marketing, so you don’t have to continue to feed the never-ending machine? Delegate this to social media experts and superheroes: Goodboy Creative and simplify your life!CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.