Q: do you wish you were a bit more courageous? Do you find that you step back when you wish you could step forward? Or that you (always) get passed up for an opportunity that you know was perfect for you?
My special guest today is author Dr. Deb Gorton and she’s simplifying how to be more courageous in life, both personally and professionally. This applies to how you show up in the world, in your relationships, with your clients, your friends, and in your everyday routine. With a bit of lion heart spirit and one very simple shift in your mindset, courage can be yours too.
- My special guest today is Dr. Deb Gorton and she’s simplifying how to be more courageous.
- Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
- About Dr. Deb Gorton
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
My special guest today is Dr. Deb Gorton and she’s simplifying how to be more courageous.
We tackle all aspects of it, including:
- Why we need to discuss the myth around comfort first
- What role your core values play when navigating the big and small decisions we all need to make in life
- The difference between short-term uncomfortable vs long-term and why creating healthy boundaries will help in the long run
- Plus, the three things that keep us from living a more courageous life and how to squash them when they pop up
- …and ultimately, what the difference is between “radical acceptance” and “validation?” How do they work together and what can be learned here?
Dr. Deb is all about “teaching others to embrace the uncomfortable in order to fulfill their purpose.” She does this through her work, helping people build bridges between the head and the heart. She believes when we do this, we ignite the courage necessary to make the journey across.
Q: Are you ready to be more courageous? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s helping today with COVID-19>
- Petition for Breonna Taylor – how you can help
- Nashville’s rooftop Dolly Parton-themed cocktail bar is what we ALL need right now
- Americans: register to VOTE – click here
- Mary is offering 50-minute 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking for ideas on how to pivot their businesses
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and to become more courageous this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently in your work? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: Embracing Uncomfortable: Facing Our Fears While Pursuing Our Purpose – Dr. Deb Gorton
Book: I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness – Austin Channing Brown
Podcast: How to make self-care ‘non-negotiable’ – part 3, featuring Carly Pollack – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to put yourself out there + gain visibility, featuring Lori Granito – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your stinkin’ thinkin’ – The Simplifiers Podcast
Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Now more than ever, I’m finding 7-minutes of journaling is helping me calm my mind and get centered every morning.
So, start your day off right, download The Simplifiers Morning Prompts.
It’s a free daily worksheet that helps you laser-focus in on what needs to get done today, what could trip you up and how you’re going to stay on track. 5 questions, 7 minutes… this worksheet will help you SIMPLIFY!
About Dr. Deb Gorton
Dr. Deb Gorton – She is the Gary Chapman Chair of Marriage, Family Ministry, and Therapy at Moody Theological Seminary and Graduate School.
For more than fourteen years, Deb has worked as a change agent for individuals, organizations, and emerging leaders, helping them refine, embrace, and thrive in their purpose.
Built on the foundation of relationship, her core philosophy is that collaboration in community produces radical transformation. She is also the host of the Becoming Well podcast.
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.