Q: are you feeling like your relationships need a bit of strengthening right now, especially through COVID-19? For many of us, we’ve been in lockdown with our partners, children, and roommates, spending more time with them than you’ve likely spent in years! Things are getting frayed at the edges, to say the least. Welp, time to bring in the big guns!
My special guest today is author Dr. Gary Chapman and he’s simplifying how to strengthen your relationships through COVID-19. I phoned up Dr Gary wanting to get his valuable insight on things, especially given his 5 Love Languages wisdom. Lord knows, things have changed significantly since we last spoke and I knew that Dr Gary would have the words to help us calm our hearts and build bridges in our relationships.
- My special guest today is Dr. Gary Chapman and he’s simplifying how to strengthen your relationships through COVID-19.
- Find what you need on the Super Connector Network
- About Dr. Gary Chapman
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
My special guest today is Dr. Gary Chapman and he’s simplifying how to strengthen your relationships through COVID-19.
We tackle all aspects of it, including:
- How to avoid going stir-crazy during lockdown and how we can give each other a little space and a whole lot of grace
- How to improve your relationship if the other person doesn’t want to make the effort. There’s still things you can do to take responsibility for your part in the relationship
- For many, deep rooted issues are getting uncovered right now. He shares simple, practical tips on how couples can tackle issues as a team, rather than resorting to the “blame game”
- Why he believes we are seeing an increase in domestic violence during this time – how it starts and what can be done to prevent it
- …and ultimately, how couples can begin to tear down emotional walls and become stronger together
I think of Dr Gary Chapman like Dolly Parton or Betty White… an absolute national treasure who should be wrapped in bubble wrap and protected, at all costs during these times. He’s a delight to chat with and is overflowing with wisdom and love.
My hope is this conversation sparks a new idea in you, too.
Q: Are you looking to strengthen your relationships through COVID-19? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s helping today with COVID-19>
- Dolly x Nina – two queens of kindness raising money for children’s literacy and LGBTQIA+ youth and families – Kindness is Queen!
- 26 movies, documentaries, & shows about race to stream right now – Refinery 29
- Americans: register to VOTE – click here
- Mary is offering 50-minute 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking for ideas on how to pivot their businesses
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and strengthen your relationships this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently in your work? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: 5 Simple Ways to Strengthen Your Marriage: …When You’re Stuck at Home Together – Dr. Gary Chapman
Book: When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up – Jamie Janosz
Article: ‘I want a divorce’: how lockdown tore us apart – The Telegraph
Resource: If you are in an abusive situation and need help in the UK…
IF YOU FEEL YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER, RING 999
I am a woman needing help: 24hr FREEPHONE 0808 800 0340 or 0808 800 0341 or Juno Women’s Aid
I am a man needing help: Contact Equation on 0115 960 5556
Other Support (women and men):
Resource: If you are in an abusive situation and need help in the US…
IF YOU FEEL YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER, RING 911
I am a woman needing help: 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224 for TTY, or if you’re unable to speak safely, you can log onto thehotline.org or text LOVEIS to 22522. or National Domestic Violence Hotline
I am a man needing help: 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224 for TTY, or if you’re unable to speak safely, you can log onto thehotline.org or text LOVEIS to 22522. or National Domestic Violence Hotline – also visit HelpGuide
Podcast: How to simplify the 5 Love Languages, featuring Dr. Gary Chapman – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your stinkin’ thinkin’ – The Simplifiers Podcast
Find what you need on the Super Connector Network
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Whether you’re looking to…
- hire an expert to help you with one specific aspect of your business or
- looking for a side gig to earn a bit of quick cash or maybe
- you’re just looking for some ideas on how to get back to thriving once again…
Introducing… The Super Connector Network!
Click over to find our carefully curated hub of super handy resources.
About Dr. Gary Chapman
Dr. Gary Chapman – He is the author of the well-known book The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts®, has spoken to thousands of people around the world, helping couples learn how to nurture a healthy relationship with each other. With a healthy dose of humor, Dr. Chapman gives valuable tips on breaking unhealthy patterns and choosing to develop healthy relationships.
Married for 50 years (to the same woman) and has 40 years of marriage counseling experience under his belt, Dr Chapman has a passion for people and helping them form lasting relationships.
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.