Do you have a simple mission statement for your business? Knowing your mission is critical to your business success, and this is how to create a powerful mission statement in 3 simple steps.
If you don’t have a clear and succinct mission statement, you’re in the right place. And I promise to keep it simple.
Okay, so… pull out a pen and paper and answer these 3 simple questions to make your statement: Why, How, and for Who?
- 1. Why does your company exist?
- 2. How do you do it differently?
- 3. Who will benefit from what you do?
- What is The Simplifiers’ mission statement?
- And just one final whisper, just from me to you, dear friend… come in closer.
- If this thought of the day inspired you…
- Send me a voicemail to get featured!
- Watch the video version of this episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
1. Why does your company exist?
Be specific here.
- What major pain point or challenges do your products or services solve out in the world?
- Do you help people when they need it the most?
- Are you solving problems, or reducing stress?
- Does your brand simply bring joy, and delight to your customers?
Define the transformation you provide to your customers.
This is your life blood; it’s what you do every day.
Uber’s mission is to ‘Ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion.’ And it’s no wonder. At the time of this recording, Uber have 75 million riders, have completed 10 billion trips worldwide and are available in 600+ cities worldwide.
WOW! A powerful mission statement can certainly take you places.
2. How do you do it differently?
Tell me about your unique spark and the special way you deliver you to your clients.
How is your company making a positive impact on the world?
How do you deliver an unforgettable experience for your clients?
- Is it in the handwritten letters that you send when they least expect it
- An easy exchange policy, or
- The fact that you donate 5% of your net profits to safe drinking water to those in developing nations like charity: water
This is your secret sauce that sets you apart from the 99% in your industry who don’t go this extra mile.
Ask yourself: what do we stand for?
3. Who will benefit from what you do?
These are the people I call your ‘Ultimate Ideal Clients,’
These are the people you love, love, LOVE to work with.
They are also the people who love, love, LOVE what you do, and enjoy receiving your products and services.
When you define the people that you are serving, your brand messaging will stay on point as well.
A laser-focused mission statement can be a powerful tool to help you and your team stayed focused on the activities of today. It will ensure you’re on the right path to actualize your vision for tomorrow.
Think about WeWork, a global coworking organization who serve small businesses and entrepreneurs. Their mission statement is to ‘Create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living.’
This rings true not only for their members, but their employees as well. WeWork create thoughtful spaces that nurture thriving communities. A place where “You join as an individual ‘me’, but then become part of a greater ‘we.’” You see it in their spaces, and you know it’s not just lip service. They walk the walk and it shows.
So by now, I bet you’re wondering…
What is The Simplifiers’ mission statement?
Great question! Drum roll please…
And just one final whisper, just from me to you, dear friend… come in closer.
Don’t bypass this step. If these questions feel a bit daunting, or that nasty little negative voice inside your head is creeping in and saying, ‘Well, what is my secret sauce? Why does my business exist?’ – I want you to stop, pause and think another thought.
What you do is incredibly valuable to the world. I can almost guarantee there is at least one person who thinks your products and services are absolutely amazing.
So, let’s write this mission statement with them in mind.
Remember, keep it simple, succinct and true to you, as the business owner. Press pause right now, set a 7-minute timer and jot down your answers to my three simple questions:
- Why does your company exist?
- How do you do it differently?
- Who will benefit from what you do?
Make sure your mission statement is authentic to what really drives you, and links to why you started this company in the first place. If you do this, (trust me) it will guide your entire team to know what it looks like to give their very best every single day at work.
This is your company’s truth.
Your mission statement is your DOING statement.
It’s the essence of why you exist, how you do it different, and who you products and services benefit.
Do it now. Just 7 minutes towards gaining massive clarity. What have you got to lose?
You can do this, I believe in you.
It’s time to SIMPLIFY.
If this thought of the day inspired you…
Snap a photo of you doing the thing and send it to me via Instagram, privately or publicly… just tag @thesimplifiers – I’ll be your virtual accountability buddy in your quest to simplify your life.
Send me a voicemail to get featured!
What’s one tip that’s helping you simplify your work, or life these days?
Click here to send me a voicemail! We’ve added a fancy little vertical button which says ‘Send Mary a Voicemail’ on the right side of the website.
Here, you can record a voicemail through your phone or your laptop, and then, we can feature you on a future episode!
So, what’s one thing that’s helping you simplify these days…
- Maybe it’s a new life hack that’s working for you or
- A great book you’re loving these days or
- Maybe you’ve simplified figuring out how to eat more green, leafy veggies every single day (and if that’s the case, tell me how you’re doing it!)
Leave us a message with:
- Your name
- You business name (if you own one)
- What city in the world you’re tuning in from and
- Tell us how you’re simplifying
Go to thesimplifiers.com and click on the ‘Send Mary a Voicemail’ button!
Easy peasy, super simple!
Big thanks to our undercover superheroes at The Simplifiers Podcast that help us create these episodes for you – Suzen Marie, our Podcast Editor. Jeffrey Lynn, our Video Editor. Janine Yardley, our Show Notes Editor. Lyden Yardley, our Director of Brilliance. Manminder Athwal, our Blogger. Our advisory board includes: Aubri Nowowiejski, Chris Justice and George Mills. And I’m your host, Mary Baird-Wilcock. Thank you so much for listening and telling your peeps about us.
As always friends, keep things simple.
Watch the video version of this episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.