Q: have you been faced with death recently, either in your immediate circle or in your community? As many of us are realizing how fragile life really is, we’re starting to reimagine things in new ways. Life, death, rebirth and start once again. It’s an age old concept but one to evaluate with new eyes, especially now.
My special guest today is Jess Weiner and she’s simplifying how to reimagine your life by understanding death. Whether you or someone you know is grappling with a positive COVID-19 test result or you’ve simply got aging parents and you wish the clock would slow way, way down… death is inevitable for all of us, eventually.
How we interpret it and face life now is a whole other matter, completely.
Here’s how to live life to the fullest from this day forward.
- My special guest today is Jess Weiner and she’s simplifying how to reimagine your life by understanding death.
- Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
- About Jess Weiner
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
My special guest today is Jess Weiner and she’s simplifying how to reimagine your life by understanding death.
We tackle all aspects of it, including:
- What led her to this work and inspired her to study death and dying, as a whole
- With the many profound conversations on death that she’s had so far for her new podcast, “We’re All Going to Die, Anyway,” she shares why facing loss (really) does help people to live better
- What the first step is to reimagining your own life, especially now during a pandemic
- There is trauma and grief that needs to be processed from experiencing COVID-19… how she is handling it and how to preserve and protect the business you’ve built
- …and ultimately, how to minimize the burnout that comes from the grief and recovery process of BIG change
So, the question is simple. Are you afraid of dying? What about really living? If you’ve found yourself reevaluating your core values and what’s most important in your life during these last few (insane) months, I hope my conversation with Jess inspires you.
Q: Are you reimagining your life right now? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s helping today with COVID-19>
- What you need to know about Breonna Taylor’s death – NY Times
- 26 movies, documentaries, & shows about race to stream right now – Refinery 29
- Americans: register to VOTE – click here
- Mary is offering 50-minute 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking for ideas on how to pivot their businesses
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and reimagine your life this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently in your work? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: The Middle Passage: from misery to meaning in midlife – James Hollis
Podcast: How to create social change & ‘belonging’ in your work, featuring Jess Weiner – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your stinkin’ thinkin’ – The Simplifiers Podcast
Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Now more than ever, I’m finding 7-minutes of journaling is helping me calm my mind and get centered every morning.
So, start your day off right, download The Simplifiers Morning Prompts.
It’s a free daily worksheet that helps you laser-focus in on what needs to get done today, what could trip you up and how you’re going to stay on track. 5 questions, 7 minutes… this worksheet will help you SIMPLIFY!
About Jess Weiner
Jess Weiner – She is a cultural expert focusing on the intersection of business, social change and inclusivity. She’s the CEO of Talk to Jess, and advises Fortune 500 companies to help them better reflect people in their media, marketing, and advertising.
In 2006, she helped launch Dove’s Campaign for Real Beauty and kicked off a consumer conversation around beauty ideals.
A decade later in 2016, Jess again disrupted social norms, this time as a part of the team at Mattel who helped to change Barbie’s body, introducing 4 new body types, 7 new skin tones, 22 hair styles and 24 eye colors.
Her roster of clients and partners include: Disney, Netflix, Google, Amazon, and she served on The White House Council for Women and Girls, under the Obama administration.
Where Jess hangs out online:
Jess’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Karen Walrond – She is a consultant, photographer, and a coach with the focus on helping people build meaningful business and leadership skills, so they can change the world. She is the author of The Beauty of Different: Observations of a Confident Misfit, helping people overcome the myth of ‘not enough.’
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.