Have you ever had to tackle mansplaining in the workplace? Yes, it’s a real thing. And yes, we’re going there today.
My special guest today is gender equity expert, Dr. Kimberly DeSimone and she’s simplifying how to tackle mansplaining in the workplace. It’s more than just a buzzword, it’s a challenge people face on the daily, especially nowadays. The good news is, there are simple ways to respond, rise above, and prevent it from happening again where you work. We break it all down, you might be quite surprised to learn why it happens when it does. Dr Kimberly also shares excellent advice on how to be a great ally when it happens to someone else next to you.
- My special guest today is Dr. Kimberly DeSimone and she’s simplifying how to tackle mansplaining in the workplace.
- When you hear an episode like today’s on the podcast that potentially pokes a nerve, talk about it with someone else.
- Q: Are you ready to tackle mansplaining in the workplace? If yes, this one is for you.
- <What’s catching my eye this week>
- My challenge for you this week:
- Links, books and apps mentioned:
- Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
- About Dr. Kimberly DeSimone
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
My special guest today is Dr. Kimberly DeSimone and she’s simplifying how to tackle mansplaining in the workplace.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- First things first, she defines the term ‘mansplaining’ and how it’s different from someone being condescending or just interrupting. She tells us a bit of the history behind this phenomenon, culturally, especially in American culture
- Why some people discount mansplaining when it occurs and what a better response might be
- What the three things you can do to interrupt this bad behavior either when it happens to you or someone on your team
- How to respond when mansplaining happens to you from a prospective client vs. your vendors/suppliers vs. your team members/subordinates
- …and ultimately, she shared some clever strategies to help you be prepared and avoid getting flustered when it happens.
Thanks again for being such a devoted listener to The Simplifiers Podcast. You know me, I don’t shy away from the hard topics to simplify… I find they make for the most challenging and engaging conversations!
When you hear an episode like today’s on the podcast that potentially pokes a nerve, talk about it with someone else.
Gain their insight and don’t be afraid to say, “hey, I heard this thing on The Simplifiers Podcast… is that a thing you’ve experienced as well?” Spark a conversation – you might be surprised with what you learn. This is how we all grow and evolve.
Q: Are you ready to tackle mansplaining in the workplace? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- Mansplaining, explained in one simple chart – Kim Goodwin – BBC
- November 2021 monthly forecast: Pressure – Lena Stevens – The Power Path
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
- Gain clarity in 90 minutes: Mary is offering 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking to get unstuck as the world reopens, post pandemic
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and to help you tackle mansplaining in the workplace? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men – Caroline Criado Perez
Podcast: Transcending the “invisible rules” that create barriers for women – Advancing Women Podcast
Resource: The 4 P’s Advancement Model™ to create positive change & impact – Dr. Kimberly DeSimone
Podcast: How to transform culture + smash the patriarchy, featuring Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to be a feminist, featuring Renee Powers – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast
Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Now more than ever, I’m finding 7-minutes of journaling is helping me calm my mind and get centered every morning.
So, start your day off right, download The Simplifiers Morning Prompts.
It’s a free daily worksheet that helps you laser-focus in on what needs to get done today, what could trip you up and how you’re going to stay on track. 5 questions, 7 minutes… this worksheet will help you SIMPLIFY!
About Dr. Kimberly DeSimone
Dr. Kimberly DeSimone – She has a doctorate in Leadership and is a Gender Equity Expert, Award Winning Professor and Scholar, Executive Coach, Speaker, Author, and Creator and Host of the Advancing Women Podcast “Where ambitious women come together to challenge the status quo, advance their careers, and up-level their lives.”
She has decades of experience working in the Fortune 500 and conducting evidence-based research on women navigating the leadership pipeline.
Where Dr. DeSimone hangs out online:
Dr. DeSimone’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
…you’ll just have to wait and see in PART TWO of this conversation!
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Episode sponsored by…
Do you wish someone else would handle your company’s social media marketing, so you don’t have to continue to feed the never-ending machine? Delegate this to social media experts and superheroes: Goodboy Creative and simplify your life!CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.