What makes an excellent company gathering? Is it the food or drinks served? Maybe the decor or activities? Or is there something more underneath that makes it memorable and sparks positive change?
My special guest today is organizational psychologist and communication strategist Lindsey Caplan and she’s simplifying how to create an excellent company gathering. She calls it “The Gathering Effect” and it’s all about getting the strategy and communications underneath a gather right as your first step to maximizing your efforts and make change stick, no matter what type of gathering you are planning – a team retreat, a training class, an all-hands meeting, or even a new hire orientation.
- My special guest today is Lindsey Caplan and she’s simplifying how to create an excellent company gathering.
- Having a strategy for your company gatherings has never been more important than now… get the communications right and get clear on your goals to be most effective.
- Q: Are you ready to create an excellent company gathering? If yes, this one is for you.
- <What’s catching my eye this week>
- My challenge for you this week:
- Links, books and apps mentioned:
- Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
- About Lindsey Caplan
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
My special guest today is Lindsey Caplan and she’s simplifying how to create an excellent company gathering.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- What a “gathering” is and can be in a work environment and why it’s so important & timely for companies to get right, especially now
- Why studies show that 70% of organizational changes fail and how to avoid that for your organization when planning your next gathering
- There are 4 effects that a gathering can produce – how to distinguish which is right to help you achieve your goals
- Gain compliance
- Inform people
- Entertain people
- Engage people
- When engagement is key, how to create it in your next gathering and what the common pitfalls most People & Culture, Employee Engagement and/or HR people face in the planning process
- …and ultimately, what “scripting” is as it relates to creating a company gathering and the three elements to keep in mind to ensure success
- Framing: How to get buy-in from the audience
- Space: How to help others absorb the material
- Structure: How to help people get from A to B
This conversation is the last in our series focusing on alignment and integration… and I love that we wrapped this series talking about (in essence) belonging, specifically in the workplace. I think this is a key challenge for many employers right now as they are trying to retain their top talent and also manage a hybrid workplace where some people work from home… some work in the office… and some are a mix in between.
Having a strategy for your company gatherings has never been more important than now… get the communications right and get clear on your goals to be most effective.
This is one more way you can create better alignment with your fellow co-workers… one more tool in your tool belt to integrate in, because when we are aligned, there is less friction and the entire bus is headed in the same direction, together.
You can do it, I believe in you… it’s time to simplify!
Q: Are you ready to create an excellent company gathering? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- Case Study – New hire orientation – Lindsey Caplan – The Gathering Effect
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
- May 2022 monthly forecast – All About Balance – Lena Stevens – The Power Path
- Gain clarity in 90 minutes: Mary is offering 1-1 creative brainstorming sessions for those looking to get unstuck
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and to help you create an excellent company gathering? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard – Dan Heath + Chip Heath
Article: 3 solid strategies to fix terrible meetings in a hybrid workplace – Lindsey Caplan + Josh Levine – Fast Company
Podcast: How to think like a designer, featuring Ryan Hanson, CSEP – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast
Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Now more than ever, I’m finding 7-minutes of journaling is helping me calm my mind and get centered every morning.
So, start your day off right, download The Simplifiers Morning Prompts.
It’s a free daily worksheet that helps you laser-focus in on what needs to get done today, what could trip you up and how you’re going to stay on track. 5 questions, 7 minutes… this worksheet will help you SIMPLIFY!
About Lindsey Caplan
Lindsey Caplan – She is an organizational psychologist and communication strategist who began her career as a comedy writer in Hollywood, on shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm and Malcolm in the Middle.
She uses the lessons learned there to help organizations script their change efforts to boost morale, engagement, and retention for the long term. She earned a Master’s Degree in Organizational Psychology from Columbia University and a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication and Creative Writing for the Media from Northwestern University. Most of all, she is fueled by a strong desire to teach and help others succeed.
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Episode sponsored by…
Do you wish someone else would handle your company’s social media marketing, so you don’t have to continue to feed the never-ending machine? Delegate this to social media experts and superheroes: Goodboy Creative and simplify your life!CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.