For many of us, 2020 turned into a crisis situation and people are finding it hard to thrive. What can we learn from the Titanic survivors? Almost every aspect of life has certainly changed or shifted this year due to COVID-19. And while everyone’s experience is different, not everyone feels like they are bouncing back quite yet.
My special guest today is author Maggie Craddock and she’s simplifying how to thrive in a crisis situation. She’s taken a deep dive into studying the Titanic to learn what happened and how survivors made difficult decisions (both good and bad) in that crisis situation. History repeats itself and many lessons apply to the here and now.
- My special guest today is Maggie Craddock and she’s simplifying how to thrive in a crisis situation.
- Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
- About Maggie Craddock
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
My special guest today is Maggie Craddock and she’s simplifying how to thrive in a crisis situation.
We tackle all aspects of it, including:
- The striking similarities to what life looks like now (for many of us) to what happened to the Titanic survivors
- What “emotional agility” is and how to cultivate more for yourself, professionally
- How to discover your “inner iceberg” and how to shift it by moving from “Big Ship Mindset” to “Lifeboat Mindset” to thrive once again
- What to do when you get hit with change in a multitude of ways, simultaneously. How to steady the ship when you’re getting hit from all sides in life
- Why “strategic pausing” is critically important as part of the survival process and how to do it right
- …and ultimately, what women can do if you are grappling with guilt on top of it all. Why this happens and how to squash it
I loved this conversation with Maggie – she’s one smart cookie! And I felt like I learned quite a few things along the way that I had no clue about when it comes to the Titanic. Because let’s face it… my limited historical knowledge was largely based on Leonardo’s captivating jawline and charmingly good looks. I walked away from this interview with new food for thought and I hope you do too!
Q: Are you struggling to thrive in a current crisis situation? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- Breonna Taylor: call for justice – The Guardian
- CDC resource page for coping with stress
- Americans: register to VOTE – click here
- Mary is offering 50-minute 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking for ideas on how to pivot their businesses
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and to thrive and flip a crisis situation this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently in your work? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: Lifeboat: Navigating Unexpected Career Change and Disruption – Maggie Craddock
Book: Man’s Search for Meaning – Viktor E. Frankl
Book: Small Is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered – E.F. Schumacher
Podcast: How to heal from anxiety, featuring Uma Sanghvi – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your stinkin’ thinkin’ – The Simplifiers Podcast
Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Now more than ever, I’m finding 7-minutes of journaling is helping me calm my mind and get centered every morning.
So, start your day off right, download The Simplifiers Morning Prompts.
It’s a free daily worksheet that helps you laser-focus in on what needs to get done today, what could trip you up and how you’re going to stay on track. 5 questions, 7 minutes… this worksheet will help you SIMPLIFY!
About Maggie Craddock
Maggie Craddock – She is the President and CEO of Workplace Relationships and is a veteran executive coach known for her work with Fortune 500 CEOs and senior management.
Featured on CNBC, ABC News, NPR National Public Radio, as well as the Harvard Business Review and Oprah Magazine, She’s received her Masters in Economics from the London School of Economics, and her latest book is Lifeboat: Navigating Unexpected Career Change and Disruption.
Where Maggie hangs out online:
Maggie’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Amanda Pullinger – She is the CEO of 100 Women in Finance, fully committed to empowering women working in the finance industry to achieve their professional potential at each career stage. 100WF operates under a guiding 30×40 Vision in which women will occupy 30% of all investment team and executive leadership roles by 2040.
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.