Do you want to learn how to budget like a pro for your business? I want to encourage you to join me and for the rest of this month, aim to put the foundational building blocks in place, so your business is set to succeed in the new year ahead. One of those areas of focus is your accounting.
My special guest today is Mark Butler and he’s simplifying how to budget like a pro (for your business). With a curveball year like 2020, some have felt the pinch… while others have soared. In today’s conversation, we are breaking down the fundamental principles in bookkeeping, budgeting, and business finances in simple, simple terms, so you can feel empowered for the 12 months ahead.
- My special guest today is Mark Butler and he’s simplifying how to budget like a pro (for your business).
- Book a ‘Finish Strong’ coaching session with Mary
- About Mark Butler
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
My special guest today is Mark Butler and he’s simplifying how to budget like a pro (for your business).
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- What the first step is to budgeting like a pro is, especially if you don’t have a degree in finance and how to determine where the money is leaking out from
- Looking back at how unpredictable 2020 was for most, how to plan wisely for the year ahead with our budgeting… it’s a plan A vs. plan B mentality
- What role ‘luck’ plays in budgeting and in running a small business… and how to use this knowledge to your advantage
- Many times people ask him to “figure out the money piece” for them, but actually, here’s what it all boils down to, most times
- …and ultimately, we talked about the current “hustle & grind” mentality out there and how there’s a better way to work, as it relates to how you budget and manage your business finances
Look, I realize budgets and bookkeeping isn’t a very exciting topic for some… and as you dip, duck, and dive through the holiday season, the tendency is to say, “oh, I’ll look at that later.” But I really want to encourage you to focus a little time this week specifically to this aspect of your business.
30 minutes or an hour, whatever you can lock into your calendar will be time well spent to get your books in order and start mapping out the new year with a financial plan in place. When you do that, you’ll feel more calm, more centered, and ready for whatever may come. The opportunity is yours for the taking!
Q: Are you ready to budget like a pro? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- Breonna Taylor: Who She Was, How She Died, Why Justice Is Overdue – The Daily Show
- 10 budgeting tips for your business – Forbes
- The people who actually had a pretty great year – The New York Times
- Mary is offering 50-minute 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking for ideas on how to pivot their businesses
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and begin to budget like a pro? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Resource: low-cost budgeting software (YNAB) – You Need a Budget
Freebie: Free money course – 5 short emails to change how you think about your business finances – Let’s Do the Books
Book: The Psychology of Money: Timeless lessons on wealth, greed, and happiness – Morgan Housel
Resource: 4 simple rules for successful budgeting – You Need a Budget
Podcast: How to increase your profits + master your finances, featuring Danielle Hayden – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast
Book a ‘Finish Strong’ coaching session with Mary
We’ve got a resource we’d love to share with you!
If you own a business, it’s time to book in your Finish Strong coaching session with Mary.
In this 90-minute call, she’ll help you reflect on this past year, identify your triumphs, squash your mishaps, and document your lessons learned along the way. You’ll also clarify your vision for the year ahead and create a Super Action Plan on how exactly you’ll get there.
One client even said, “Mary, I got more value out of 90-minutes with you then I’ve gotten all year long trying to figure all of this stuff out on my own! It’s so nice to have a trusted mentor to bounce all my ideas off of and create a plan with.”
If you’ve been a longtime listener and are ready for the next step, book your session in today!
About Mark Butler
Mark Butler – He is the founder of the accounting startup Let’s Do the Books, as well as the bookkeeper, CFO and confidante to top online entrepreneurs like Brooke Castillo at The Life Coach School.
Before working in finance, Mark co-founded three online businesses that brought in close to $2 million in total revenue. Today, Mark combines his business savvy with a certification in life coaching to help business owners take control of their finances and work through the shame and anxiety that almost always comes up when dealing with money.
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Episode sponsored by…
Do you wish someone else would handle your company’s social media marketing, so you don’t have to continue to feed the never-ending machine? Delegate this to social media experts and superheroes: Goodboy Creative and simplify your life!CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.