What if there was a way to definitively know and understand what your customer wants? With this information, you would be able to confidently convert more leads into clients and know you’re charging the right amount. Would you want to learn how?
My special guest today is author Melina Palmer and she’s simplifying how to understand what your customer wants. It all comes down to behavioral economics, (as in, why do people buy things when they do) to truly discover what they want and most times, can’t tell you. When we better understand how their brain works, we understand how your brand’s nuances and nudges are working for (or AGAINST!) you and your sales targets.
- My special guest today is Melina Palmer and she’s simplifying how to understand what your customer wants.
- Create a simplified business plan & bounce back stronger than ever before
- About Melina Palmer
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
My special guest today is Melina Palmer and she’s simplifying how to understand what your customer wants.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- How she defines ‘behavioral economics’ and why it’s so important to understand what unspoken forces are at play when your customers are thinking about buying your products or services
- Two simple ways you can improve your pricing and increase sales by better understanding your customer’s behaviors
- understand that 99% of what people do is on subconscious, unspoken level
- standardize your pricing to end in the same number (whether it’s 5, 7, 9 or 0)
- Learn ways to create better “brain-friendly” brand messaging, using the tools of framing and priming
- If decisions are made (mostly) on the subconscious level, she shares the hidden rules in the brain that’ll actually increase sales
- …and ultimately, we talked about “the jar method”, which is a BRILLIANT way to motivate and keep your clients accountable for the work they promise to complete in between coaching calls. How to use this method to help them #dothething (BTW, I’m stealing this idea, it’s so smart!)
Melina has a certain knack for simplifying this topic (which can come off as a bit cerebral) without it feeling too academic or stuffy. We all know that we are faced with thousands of marketing messages in our daily lives… some we’re aware of, most we aren’t. No one really likes to be pushed into buying something or felt like they’ve been manipulated, right? (Yup, me neither.)
However, when you are aware of how your customer’s brain works when they are contemplating making a purchase or investing in a new thing from you, you can refine the buying journey to be more pleasant. And when you do that, you’re creating a more world-class experience working with you from start to finish… and this leads to fans in your gospel choir and referrals a-plenty.
Q: Are you ready to (truly) understand what your customer wants? If yes, this one is for you. It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- The Internet’s Memory of Breonna Taylor – The Cut, written by Mary Retta
- Sunday funk jam session with DJ Premier and Brady Watt – Marc Rebillet
- Attend Europe’s leading purpose-led business conference – May 19-20, 2021 – Impact Summit
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
- Mary is offering 50-minute 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking for ideas on how to pivot their businesses
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and understand what your customer wants this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: You’re Invited: The Art and Science of Cultivating Influence – John Levy
Freebies: Download the first chapter of the book – click here! – Melina Palmer
Podcast: The Brainy Business: Understanding the Psychology of Why People Buy – Melina Palmer
Podcast: How to get into the flow – part one, featuring Scott Robinson – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to close more discovery calls, featuring Nikki Rausch – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast
Create a simplified business plan & bounce back stronger than ever before
We’re taking applications for our next cohort of business owners (like yourself) who are ready to smash their quarterly revenue goals… like a hero!
In 4 short weeks, I’ll lead you through the process of creating your own simplified business plan where, you will get super clear on the 9 key aspects of your business, including:
- defining your unforgettable value proposition
- magnetizing your Ultimate Ideal Client to you
- setting your pricing strategy… and so much more!
So, if you’re ready to reemerge, get unstuck, and bounce back stronger than ever, then reach out and #DoTheThing!
Schedule a free 25-minute discovery call to see if it’s the right fit for you.
The next cohort starts soon and hey, if you’re ready to join now and want to bypass the discovery call, simply click here and reserve your spot today.
About Melina Palmer
Melina Palmer – She is the founder and CEO of The Brainy Business, which provides behavioral economics consulting to businesses of all sizes from around the world. Her podcast, The Brainy Business: Understanding the Psychology of Why People Buy, has downloads in over 160 countries and is used as a resource for teaching applied behavioral economics for many universities and businesses.
Melina obtained her bachelor’s degree in business administration: marketing and worked in corporate marketing and brand strategy for over a decade before earning her master’s in behavioral economics. A proud member of the Global Association of Applied Behavioral Scientists, Melina has contributed research to the Association for Consumer Research, Filene Research Institute, and runs the Behavioral Economics & Business column for Inc Magazine.
She teaches applied behavioral economics through the Texas A&M Human Behavior Lab and her first book, What Your Customer Wants and Can’t Tell You, publishes May 2021.
Where Melina hangs out online:
Melina’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Michael F Schein – He is a writer, speaker, business owner, and hype artist. He’s the author of The Hype Handbook: 12 Indispensable Success Secrets From the World’s Greatest Propagandists, Self-Promoters, Cult Leaders, Mischief Makers, and Boundary Breakers and has been featured in Fortune, Forbes, Inc, Huffington Post, and Psychology Today. At MicroFame Media, they have reverse engineered what the most successful niche celebrities have in common. Armed with this knowledge, they take their clients through a step-by-step process that turns each one of them into the go-to expert in their industry.
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Episode sponsored by…
Do you wish someone else would handle your company’s social media marketing, so you don’t have to continue to feed the never-ending machine? Delegate this to social media experts and superheroes: Goodboy Creative and simplify your life!CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.