As we move into a new quarter, it’s time to level up and learn how to close more discovery calls. What is a discovery call, you ask? Well, it’s that short call that your prospective client books in with you to learn more about your offering. It’s a space for both parties to see if it’s a good fit to work together, before they actually say YES, open up their wallet and buy the thing. And I’m learning that there’s an art and a science to these calls. So, we are going to break down the mechanics in today’s conversation, to help bring you greater confidence and flow into how you conduct yours.
My special guest today is the Sales Maven, Nikki Rausch and she’s simplifying how to close more discovery calls. How many times have you felt like you were leaving money on the table because you don’t ask for the business? Or how many times have you heard the other party say, “I want it, but I don’t have the money” or “I need to think about it?” Well, Nikki believes there’s a reason for that and it’s simpler than you think to fix.
- My special guest today is Nikki Rausch and she’s simplifying how to close more discovery calls.
- 45 Ways to Make $2000 This Week
- About Nikki Rausch
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
My special guest today is Nikki Rausch and she’s simplifying how to close more discovery calls.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- What the subtle cues and buying signals are that people give when they’re interested in doing business with you
- How and why you must “pre-frame” your discovery calls before conducting them
- What the one question is that most people forget to ever ask in a discovery call
- ASK: “what’s most important to you?”
- Why you should never coach (or demonstrate your expertise) during a discovery call and what questions you should ask instead
- the 5 steps to sales – “the Selling Staircase”
- Introduction – your first impression
- Creating curiosity – tell me more
- Discovery – learning, listening, answering
- Proposal – inviting them to your offering
- Close – ask for the sale
- the 5 steps to sales – “the Selling Staircase”
- …and ultimately, what you must do at the very end of every call that’ll increase your close rate.
- TIP: get the next step/appointment/call/meeting scheduled in before you hang up.
We’ve been talking a lot about the brain in the last few episodes on The Simplifiers Podcast and how your deep-rooted subconscious beliefs might be holding you back or keeping you playing small. And I certainly see how this could apply here, too. No one wants to come off as a pushy used-car salesman type of person, am-I-right? But equally, if we don’t openly invite people to our products and services (on a consistent, regular basis), there will be NO business.
So, I hope this conversation is a practical way to apply what you’ve learned lately about your mindset. Nikki teaches us that discovery calls shouldn’t be pushy and your income could be 2x, 5x or 10x more than what you earn today, with a simple refinement to your skillset and mindset. Test it out for the next 30 days, expand the possibility of what you believe you could earn as an income this month. And reframe what you believe sales (as it relates to discovery calls) could look and feel like…
Q: Are you ready to close more discovery calls? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- A year after Breonna Taylor’s killing, family says there’s ‘no accountability’ – NPR
- Live updates: Derek Chauvin is on trial for George Floyd’s death – CNN
- 3 hours of (free) focus music for deep concentration – Quiet Quest – Study Music
- The 8 Pillars of Joy, developed by the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Tutu – Yanik Silver
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
- Mary is offering 50-minute 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking for ideas on how to pivot their businesses
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and close more discovery calls this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: The Selling Staircase: Mastering the Art of Relationship Selling – Nikki Rausch
Book: Buying Signals: Turn Casual Conversations into Sales – Nikki Rausch
Freebie: free ebook, Closing the Sale: Simple tips to increase your confidence – Nikki Rausch
Book: Wonderworks: The 25 Most Powerful Inventions in the History of Literature – Angus Fletcher
Podcast: Consultation Calls – Sales Success Stories – Sales Maven podcast with Nikki Rausch
Podcast: How to make an income breakthrough, featuring Amira Alvarez – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast
45 Ways to Make $2000 This Week
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you! If you’re needing new ideas on how to hit this month’s revenue targets, download our free guide sharing “45 Ways to Make $2000 this Week.” Take the $2k sales challenge and jumpstart your sales!
Here are 45 simple ideas that will help you #DoTheThing and ask for the sale!Download your free guide
About Nikki Rausch
Nikki Rausch – She is the CEO of Sales Maven, an organization dedicated to authentic selling and she helps people transform the misunderstood process of “selling”.
With 25+ years of experience selling to such prestigious organizations as The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Hewlett-Packard, and NASA, Nikki shattered sales records in many industries, receiving multiple “top producer” awards along the way.
She’s also the host of the Sales Maven podcast, Nikki will show us how to sell successfully and authentically, without being pushy or salesy.
Where Nikki hangs out online:
Nikki’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Melina Palmer – She is the founder and CEO of The Brainy Business, which provides behavioral economics consulting to businesses of all sizes from around the world. Her podcast, The Brainy Business: Understanding the Psychology of Why People Buy, has downloads in over 160 countries and is used as a resource for teaching applied behavioral economics for many universities and businesses. Her book, What Your Customer Wants and Can’t Tell You: Unlocking Consumer Decisions with the Science of Behavioral Economics will be released in April 2021.
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Episode sponsored by…
Do you wish someone else would handle your company’s social media marketing, so you don’t have to continue to feed the never-ending machine? Delegate this to social media experts and superheroes: Goodboy Creative and simplify your life!CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.