Do you need to write and deliver a compelling keynote speech soon? What about a sales pitch? Or do you need to formulate the words to really motivate and empower your audience? If yes, you’re in the right place.
My special guest today is professional public speaker Robbie Crabtree and he’s simplifying how to write a compelling keynote speech. This is part 3 in our series this month focusing on writing and a perfect topic to cap things off with. Writing a compelling speech takes skill, a bit of wit, and a mastery of the craft of storytelling.
- My special guest today is Robbie Crabtree and he’s simplifying how to write a compelling keynote speech.
- Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
- About Robbie Crabtree
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
My special guest today is Robbie Crabtree and he’s simplifying how to write a compelling keynote speech.
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- Why it is important to sharpen your skills as a compelling communicator, especially now in 2021
- What he learned as an attorney that helped him become a better keynote speaker and communicator
- He reveals his “Performative Speaking” framework and how to create your “go-to” story for your keynote speech. Here are the secrets…
5 ingredients to a good story:
- identify your characters
- define their relationships
- describe the environment with all 5 senses
- create a conflict that needs to be resolved
- have a clear resolutions that ends the story with impact
4 stages of the “Performative Speaking” framework:
- How to create emotion and captivate your audience in a compelling way
- …and ultimately, we talked about utilizing the power of video – what are some ways you can deliver a keynote speech (or tell your story) online, rather than in person?
Q: Are you ready to write a compelling keynote speech? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- Breonna Taylor: Who She Was, How She Died, Why Justice Is Overdue – The Daily Show
- 7 creative ways to tell a powerful story – The Write Life
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
- Mary is offering 50-minute 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking for ideas on how to pivot their businesses
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and start to write a compelling keynote speech or develop your “go-to story” this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: The Things They Carried – Tim O’Brien
Resource: Write of Passage – Learn to write online – digital course – David Perell
App: Drop-in audio chat with others around the world – Clubhouse
Book: Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae – Steven Pressfield
Podcast: How to become an excellent public speaker, featuring Michael J Gelb– The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast
Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Now more than ever, I’m finding 7-minutes of journaling is helping me calm my mind and get centered every morning.
So, start your day off right, download The Simplifiers Morning Prompts.
It’s a free daily worksheet that helps you laser-focus in on what needs to get done today, what could trip you up and how you’re going to stay on track. 5 questions, 7 minutes… this worksheet will help you SIMPLIFY!
About Robbie Crabtree
Robbie Crabtree – He has worked as an attorney on over 100 high-profile cases along with teaching persuasive speaking at Southern Methodist University Law School.
He also coaches students to compete nationally in speech competitions every semester. He’s worked with leaders at Apple, Google, Microsoft and Reddit to develop their speaking ability.
He’s the founder of Performative Speaking which was recently acquired by On Deck and is now the Program Director for the On Deck Performative Speaking Fellowship.
Where Robbie hangs out online:
Robbie’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Charlotte Crowther – She is the founder of MySnapshot, a learning and coaching tool for students. She also consults with online courses who want to build a business which delivers impact with intimacy and scale.
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Episode sponsored by…
Do you wish someone else would handle your company’s social media marketing, so you don’t have to continue to feed the never-ending machine? Delegate this to social media experts and superheroes: Goodboy Creative and simplify your life!CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.