Friends, we’re going there – let’s talk about how to transform culture and smash the patriarchy. But first, let’s define what the patriarchy is… it’s a social system in which men hold primary power and they predominantly hold roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property. This affects us all… including men, as well. So surely, there is something better.
My special guest today is Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza and they are simplifying how to transform culture and smash the patriarchy. Their work in the world is all about helping folks understand their role in all of this and show us the way to lean into deeper connections, greater understanding, and most importantly, get into relationship with others who are nothing like us.
- My special guest today is Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza and they are simplifying how to transform culture and smash the patriarchy
- Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
- About Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza
- Watch the video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
My special guest today is Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza and they are simplifying how to transform culture and smash the patriarchy
We tackle and simplify all aspects of it, including:
- Their take on “cancel culture” – what it is and what it does to shunt productive conversations and true action towards positive change – also, how to create safe spaces for sometimes awkward conversations
- “Diversity and inclusion” are such buzzwords these days… How can small business owners make positive change in their workplace and company culture that actually will move the needle forward
- What two questions you need to ask yourself first when considering your own identity and the positive changes you want to see and create in the world next that will transform the culture around you
- How to get into deeper relationships with people who are different than you and how to move past the fear of getting out of your comfort zone to (actually) do it
- …and ultimately, learn how the patriarchy is affecting our society in ways that may NOT be seen on the surface… And how to begin to dismantle it, in big or small ways.
If you’ve been listening to The Simplifiers Podcast for awhile now, you know we don’t shy away from hard conversations.
And this is not an easy topic to simplify, but one well worth having.
My hope always is to help us all spark new ideas, new questions to ponder around the work table, and to help create positive change in the world. Thank you for tuning in and being open to consider new viewpoints that might be challenging to your current beliefs. We learn together – we grow together… it’s time to simplify!
Q: Are you ready to transform culture and smash the patriarchy? If yes, this one is for you.
It’s time to #DoTheThing!
<What’s catching my eye this week>
- Activism fatigue is killing social justice. Is it selfish or inevitable? – Mikayla Tillery – The Stanford Daily
- August 2021 monthly forecast – “Managing the Shi(f)t” – Lena Stevens – The Power Path
- 50 powerful questions to help you reflect – The Institute of You
- Gain clarity in 90 minutes: Mary is offering 1-1 brainstorming sessions for those looking to get unstuck as the world reopens, post pandemic
My challenge for you this week:
How are you going to take what you’ve learned in today’s episode and smash the patriarchy this week? What’s one thing you’ll do differently? Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Book: Begin Again: James Baldwin’s America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own – Eddie S. Glaude Jr.
Book: Broken Horses: A Memoir – Brandi Carlile
Book: Body Becoming: A Path to Our Liberation (set to release Mar 29, 2022) – Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza
Resource: 100% farmer owned, organic coffee – Pachamama Coffee
Resource: Nashville-based butcher for responsibly raised beef, pork, chicken and lamb – Bare Bones Butcher
Resource: a global, grassroots organization working to ensure everyone has access to good, clean and fair food – Slow Food Movement
Podcast: Why don’t we give a sh!t about each other? – Activist Theology Podcast
Podcast: How to make BIG Happy Money, featuring Serena Hicks – The Simplifiers Podcast
Podcast: How to squash your limiting self-beliefs – The Simplifiers Podcast
Get Unstuck with The Simplifiers Morning Prompts
We’ve got a free resource we’d love to share with you!
Now more than ever, I’m finding 7-minutes of journaling is helping me calm my mind and get centered every morning.
So, start your day off right, download The Simplifiers Morning Prompts.
It’s a free daily worksheet that helps you laser-focus in on what needs to get done today, what could trip you up and how you’re going to stay on track. 5 questions, 7 minutes… this worksheet will help you SIMPLIFY!
About Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza
Dr. Robyn Henderson-Espinoza – They have been described in a myriad of ways: a scholar-activist, scholar-leader, thought-leader, teacher, public theologian, ethicist, poet of moral reason, and a word artist.
Dr. Robyn is the Founder of the Activity Theology Project, who has spent two decades working in the borderlands of church, academy, & movements seeking to not only disrupt but also dismantle supremacy culture and help steward the logic of liberation as a Transqueer Latinx.
They are the author of Activist Theology and the forthcoming book “Body Becoming: A Path to Our Liberation” coming out in March 2022.
Where Robyn hangs out online:
Robyn’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Erin Law – They are a somatic movement educator, politicized healer, and multidisciplinary artist based in the southern US, focused on dance, somatic movement and bodywork. They are currently Embodiment & Somatics Curator at Activist Theology Project. Erin facilitates and engages in practices, analysis, advocacy, and activism to contribute to the transformation of systemic oppression/supremacy culture, toward the blossoming of a more resilient and whole humanity.
Watch the video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Episode sponsored by…
Do you wish someone else would handle your company’s social media marketing, so you don’t have to continue to feed the never-ending machine? Delegate this to social media experts and superheroes: Goodboy Creative and simplify your life!CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.