If you want to build influence for yourself or your business, podcasting could be the answer. Learn from seasoned podcasters, and explore how podcasting can help you be an influencer in your field.
If one of your big goals this year is to launch a podcast and channel your ‘inner Oprah’ on the microphone, today’s episode is especially for you.
My special guest is a podcaster and public speaker.
- Thom Singer simplifies how to build influence for yourself and your business through podcasting.
- Send me a voicemail to get featured!
- About Thom:
- Video version of the episode
- Join us and become a Simplifier!
- Episode sponsored by…
Thom Singer simplifies how to build influence for yourself and your business through podcasting.
Thom’s podcast, Cool Things Entrepreneurs Do, covers everything from growing a franchise to finding a mentor. And today, he’s sharing his insider secrets as a podcaster… these are the things he wished someone else told him before he got started.
In this episode, you will learn:
- His top 5 lessons learned over the journey of making 450+ episodes:
- 1. Just start – why starting before you think you’re ready is a GOOD idea
- 2. Figure out your cadence & format – you do you, always
- 3. Longevity is where the magic is
- 4. Don’t be afraid to pivot – change it up when you need to change it up
- 5. Hire a production company – the tech will slow you down if you let it
- How to get booked onto other podcasts as a special guest – what podcast owners look for and how to pitch it
- Once booked on, he also shares a couple of tips on how to be a SUPER special guest
- I won’t sugarcoat it for you… podcasting is a LOT of work. When we launched The Simplifiers Podcast, we put a strategic plan in place. We re-jigged the org chart, made a few key hires, and created a whole new workflow for our business.
The payoff for all that extra work is totally worth it, as the podcast has helped us:
- Broaden our brand’s global reach, helping us connect to whole new audiences
- Open doors to international speaking opportunities
- Collaborate with like-minded businesses, in bigger and better ways
If this sounds intriguing to you, listen in to Thom’s tips on this episode.
Also, don’t forget to download episode 030 where I talked with Emily Prokop. This covers the nitty gritty tech side of launching a podcast.
It’s time to simplify!
My challenge for you this week:
How can podcasting become part of your marketing strategy? What would you talk about? How would the topics help to build influence for you, or your business? Start mapping out the possibilities and get excited! Share it with me, privately or publicly. Snap a photo of you doing the thing, and tag @thesimplifiers on Instagram for added accountability and support!
Links, books and apps mentioned:
Thom’s podcast: Cool Things Entrepreneurs Do
Essay by WIRED founder Kevin Kelly: 1000 True Fans
Podcast episode mention: 058: How to master the art of thoughtful gift giving – with John Ruhlin – The Simplifiers Podcast
Article mention: How Four Scored: Four NSA Legends Share Golden Nuggets for Generating a 7-figure income – Speaker Magazine
Video mention: Interview with Roxanne Emmerich, CSP, CPAE (from the above article)
Tool: SEMrush – offers solutions for SEO, PPC, content, social media and competitive research. Especially helpful to inform your marketing and programming strategies for your podcast
Book: Limitless: How to Ignore Everybody, Carve your Own Path, and Live Your Best Life – Laura Gassner Otting
Favorite quotes from this episode:
(06:39)”The current stat on (Apple podcasts in iTunes) is that 50% of the podcasts that are out there stop after 10 episodes.” – Mary
(11:17) “You can’t just create an episode and magically hope that people are going to listen.” – Mary
(12:57)”Be committed to do it, or don’t do it. Another strategy you could use, is to be guest on other people’s podcasts and use their platform to promote yourself.” – Thom
(16:19)”Those are the very best podcasts; the ones where it feels like a genuine peek behind the curtain and having a conversation with two experts.” – Mary
(19:44)”What I’m finding is that four and a half years, 450 episodes is what’s really grabbing people. People calling me left and right, ‘I can’t believe you’ve done this many episodes’.” – Thom
(19:54)”There’s about 660,000 podcasts right now. As you said, half of them are dead.” – Thom
Send me a voicemail to get featured!
Leave us a voicemail and your voice might get featured in a future episode of The Simplifiers Podcast!
Tell us, what’s one tip that’s helping you simplify your work, or life these days?
Click here to send me a voicemail! We’ve added a fancy little vertical button which says ‘Send Mary a Voicemail’ on the right side of the website.
Here, you can record a voicemail through your phone or your laptop, and then, we can feature you on a future episode!
So, what’s one thing that’s helping you simplify these days…
- A time saving tip that’s helping you manage your work or
- A great book you’re loving these days or
- You’ve simplified meal prep and menu planning (and if that’s the case, GIRL… I’m all ears!!)
Leave us a message with:
- Your name
- You business name (if you own one)
- What city in the world you’re tuning in from and
- Tell us how you’re simplifying
Go to thesimplifiers.com and click on the ‘Send Mary a Voicemail’ button!
Thom Singer is a motivational keynote speaker and professional master of ceremonies. He speaks to business audiences around the United States and beyond.
Thom has authored 12 books and is the host of the popular Cool Things Entrepreneurs Do podcast.
Thom’s vote for the perfect guest on The Simplifiers Podcast:
Jessica Pettitt – expert on inclusion, diversity and trans issues. Jessica uses stand-up comedy to get audiences laughing, reflecting, learning and implementing.
Where Thom hangs out online:
Video version of the episode
Join us and become a Simplifier!
Well hello there, thanks for stopping by and having a listen to The Simplifiers Podcast! Our mission is to take topics in business and in life… and SIMPLIFY them!
If you loved this episode, you’ll want to go ahead and hit the SUBSCRIBE button in your podcast player to get more of this coming your way.
In addition, we’ve created a free online community called the SUPER Insiders, so you can connect with other entrepreneurs and aspiring Simplifiers around the world.
Disclaimer: This blog post includes affiliate links because we wholeheartedly believe in the products, books and courses featured on the podcast. Therefore, we get compensated when you click on the links above and decide to purchase these items, which helps us continue to serve and support you. We share only the very best resources with our listeners and hope you find great value in them, as well.