Apple cider is practically synonymous with the holiday season. It’s warm, fruity and fresh which can set the mood for any get together around this time of year. Mulled Cider takes the classic to a whole new level by taking the familiar taste we know and love and infusing it with a kick of spices and fruit flavor. As if that wasn’t good enough, someone brilliant came up with the idea to throw a little dark rum into the mix and really create the PERFECT holiday cocktail. Try out this Mulled Cider cocktail recipe at your next holiday shin-dig.
- 12 cups (3 quarts) apple cider
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 strips orange peel, removed with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup dark rum (optional)
- Garnish: orange slices, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks
- In a large pot, bring cider, cinnamon sticks, cloves and orange peel to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 25 to 35 minutes.
- Line a strainer with cheesecloth and set over a large clean saucepan. Strain cider mixture into pan and keep warm.
- When ready to serve, put 1 to 2 tablespoons rum into mugs, then fill to rim with hot cider. Garnish and serve.
- To make mulled cranberry cider, use 8 cups of apple cider with 4 cups of cranberry juice cocktail.
Source: The Huffington Post
Photo: Nutmeg Nanny