The BEST Fresh Margarita
2013 is here! A new year means new goals, new experiences and a FRESH start. Begin your new year with this Best Fresh Margarita and it’s sure to be a good one. My favorite thing about this delightful cocktail is that it doesn’t use a typical Sweet and Sour Margarita mix. Instead, to make this Fresh Margarita, we combine only the freshest, natural ingredients to get a delicious balance of flavors. This recipe has an added bonus of teaching you how to make your own simple syrup which can be used in TONS of cocktails (and tastes way better than the store-bought stuff). Whip up a batch of these Fresh Margaritas at your next event and they are sure to be the talk of the party.
Cheers to YOU in the year ahead!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup lime juice from 2 to 3 medium limes
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice from 2 to 3 medium lemons
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup orange juice from 1 small orange
- pinch table salt
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 1 cup 100 percent agave tequila, preferably Reposado
- 1 cup Citronge or Grand Marnier
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the sugar to the boiling water and remove from heat as soon as the sugar is dissolved.
- Refrigerate the simple syrup and allow to cool completely before adding to the other ingredients
- Combine simple syrup with the lime, lemon and orange juices and zest with salt in a large liquid measuring cup; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until flavors meld, 4 to 24 hours.
- Salt rims of glasses if desired by rubbing rim with lime slice and dipping in combination of equal parts sugar and kosher salt.
- Fill 4-6 margarita or double old-fashioned glasses. Pour juice mixture into 1-quart pitcher or cocktail shaker.
- Add tequila, orange liqueur, and remaining crushed ice; stir or shake until thoroughly combined and chilled, 20 to 60 seconds.
- Strain into ice-filled glasses; serve immediately.
Notes from the creator of the Fresh Margarita:
In a hurry? Skip the zest, combine all the ingredients and serve immediately. I try to give it at least the four hours but in a pinch? This is still very good!
For a Girls Nite Out we’ll add some Pomegranate Liqueur instead of the orange liquor for a girly pink version!
Source: Creative Culinary
This Best Fresh Margarita signature cocktail idea was brought to you by The Simplifiers – Austin’s top event planning and personal concierge firm, offering full service wedding planning for luxurious events, dreamy events, quirky events and everything else in between. For more information, visit thesimplifiers.com or give us a jingle at 512.695.7744.